Before reading this note, put the song “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TwT69i1lU
---
About a couple of weeks ago, I had a late night phone call with a good friend of mine. After indulging ourselves in some girly talks that you probably would classify as yawn-inducing, one of us made a remark of someone’s circumstance:
“Isn’t s/he fortunate to [insert something good]. Why can’t I get the same.”
Just to clear things up, there was no envy or jealousy in that conversation. One was just in awe on how blessed someone could be, and wondered if someday would experience the same. Then one responded.
“Yeah, very blessed. But then again, s/he has a life struggle to overcome given his/her circumstances, whereas we are fortunate enough not to have to experience the same thing.”
Then further commented,
“Life is just, and balanced. We may be blessed with something that others don’t have, while lack other things that another has.”
---
Anyway, I shall cut the conversation up to that point for privacy sake :D. I guess I just want to share a tid bit of our conversation that got me thinking. Indeed as a human being, we have the tendency to be ungrateful. We focus on what we don’t have rather than what we have. How many times do we find ourselves think something along the line, “Why don’t I have what they have?”, “Aren’t they lucky!”, “Life is miserable!”, etc. Such attitude will eventually shape our perception of life, and our general happiness really. If we focus on the negative, we will find ourselves complaining about our circumstances and become unhappy. On the other hand, if we think positively, then we’ll appreciate what we have, and in turn, our life will be more meaningful and peaceful.
Say, if you find your job to be frustrating and driving you to the wall, instead of thinking, “My job sucks! I hate my life!”, why don’t you try to think, “Hey at least right now, I have a job and a means to sustain myself whereas there are many people struggling to find a job.” If you are financially sufficient and your friends and relatives come to borrow money, instead of thinking, “Jeez, don’t treat me like a cash cow.”, why not try to think, “I am in the position to give than receive, which is a good thing.” If you currently cannot find that special someone in your life, instead of thinking, “I am so lonely, nobody wants me.”, try to think, “That day will come, someday. At least now I have more time for myself, my family and my friends. I get more freedom to pursue my ambitions/dreams.”
So yeah. Focus on the good things of what you have, rather than the negative things that come from not having that which you don’t have. That being said, you may not have what others have. But others may envy what it is that you have. Life is balanced. We are blessed with something, and challenged with a lack of something.
Anyway, hopefully when you put that way of thinking, life will be more beautiful or at least, bearable =). Peace out.
No comments:
Post a Comment