Sunday, 18 December 2011

++ Gratitude ++

When I read the Qur'aan the other day, I came across this verse:

When their Lord tries them by straightening their means, they will say, "My Lord despises me" - Surah Al-Fajr : 16

It is indeed funny how, in my opinion, this verse hits bull's eye. Many people, me included, mostly focus on the misfortunes that befall them. We will question God the reasons behind our misfortunes (I am making the assertion that 'we' here prescribe to a belief system and the existence of God).

When we are struggling with financial matters, we will question why God gives us such hardship.

When we are experiencing heart-break, we will question why God does not make it easy for us.

When we are overworked and exhausted, we will question why God does not give us with better means of sustaing our lives.

You know, I posted some time ago that I believe that everything that happens to us is not necessarily pre-determined by God. God only provides us paths and the Laws of nature, and everything is up to us.

On that note, I am curious to know if anyone has ever asked us the reason behind our fortunate and blessed life? When we get a decent job, when we meet the love of our life, when we are healthy, when we have faithful companions around us: do we ask God why we are bestowed with such blessings? We may be thankful of our life events, but do we stop to think that there may be wisdom behind everything?

Perhaps when we are fortunate enough to get a decent salary, it is God's way to tell us that we have been trusted to pass a portion of our [excess] wealth to those in need. That we have been favoured to be the transmitters of His belessings, rather than the receivers.

Perhaps when we cross path with that someone who fills our heart with love, hope, happiness and compassion, it is God's way to tell us to impart those positive emotions in the heart of people in our surrounding.

There are many other fortunate events that we don't ask ourselves, "What can God possibly intend by honouring me?". There may be roles for every one of us. Of course, I cannot say for certain. I myself have not understood why I have been blessed in my life. But I know, there is a role being prepared for me.

Laksmi's out.

No comments:

Post a Comment