Wednesday, 31 August 2011

++ Generation Gap ++

We have all had arguments and disagreements with our parents in the past. Different generations, different ways of perceiving, different expectations, and different priorities. I have heard my friends complain that their parents have tried to mould them into something they are not. A friend was forced to undertake a tertiary degree which she was not interested at all, and had to give up her passion. Another friend was demanded to purchase a property when he was still unsure what direction he wanted to take in his life. Then another friend was pressured into seeing many suitors because she has come to the age of marriage. I too have done several things that I do not particularly want to do, for the sake of satisfying my parents’ expectations.

I understand that parents wish for whatever is best for their children. But surely they should put more trust on their children, that they can make their own decisions? I often feel that many parents do not understand the needs and the passions of their children; they simply project their own experiences and values on their children. My most recent experience is that, I was told that I should focus more on my academic and professional progressions. Okay, I understand that such progressions may result in financial stability, which *may* help me attain happiness. That being said, I strongly believe that life is not all about being academically and professionally successful. I would like to be able to at least devote a portion of my time in social and community works. Apparently I was told that such works are currently unnecessary – because I am in my last semester, thus I have to focus on getting good grades. I understand what the argument comes from, but surely, I am not expected to spend my time to merely slave for my university and work commitments. That does not make me happy. I need that time, where I connect to other people, and help them if possible. The things that makes me feel that my life is not useless. My mark of existence. And I’ll tell myself, not to let my professional and academic commitments hinder prevent me from partaking at social activism. Now I am struggling a little bit to convey that, and I do hope, that they will understand what it is that gives me joy and happiness.

Anyhow, it makes me wonder, if one day I will become one of these parents who enforce my values and expectations on my children. Time will tell, but hopefully, I’ll be the one who helps them reach their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment