Monday, 29 August 2011

++ Grateful ++

Suddenly I recalled the conversation that I had with a homeless man when I was helping out at a local street café. Let’s just say he was in the position of receiving instead of giving. Then he made a remark which has seen been carved into my brain. He basically said how giving and helping others were concepts of luxury for him due to the struggle that he had to experience every day. Simply put, he cannot afford giving, and hence is forced to be selfish where he only thinks of his own good.

His statement now makes me think about the unfortunate ones. As someone who subscribes to a particular belief system (Islam), I thus think about what it is to be a good believer in God’s eyes for them. Upon reading the Qur’aan, I have always felt that it addresses the believers as if they are financially sufficient. Indeed there are various verses that talk about one’s being tried with poverty, but it reads with the idea that one has experienced abundance before. Then I wonder now, what about those who have been destitute for all their lives? They cannot give, and they may have to steal or even kill, to survive another day. What is it then, the essence of being a believer for them? From my present understanding of the Qur’aan, one part of being a believer is to be grateful of what they have. However, when one experiences hardship that is extreme, what is there to be grateful for? An example includes people who suffer from famine in East Africa, how are they expected to be grateful? Those children born into poverty and experience starvation in daily basis, how can they be taught to acknowledge the bounties of God?

*sighs*

I know I should just focus on my spiritual development, and try to contribute to developing the state of humanity. But from time to time, I cannot help but feeling unsettled. I am indeed fortunate, for the bounties that God has provided. Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment