Tuesday, 17 May 2011

++ About Growing Old ++

After God knows how long, I finally got myself to watch a movie. Yes, I was bored. It was freezing cold, and what would be better than getting rugged up in a thick blanket, sipping a mug of soy hot cocoa with a dash of honey and cinnamon, while watching an award-winning movie? Not that I do it often. Nonetheless, it was pure bliss

Anyway, the story goes, I watched a movie titled The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. For those who have not watched it, the movie is about someone who was born old, and grows younger by the years. Basically it narrates someone’s life experience as a boy trapped in an old man’s body, and reverses his age, in which he grows older internally but younger externally.

Quite a bittersweet story, actually. It makes me think of what will happen when I grow old. Questions started arising inside my head.

What will happen if that time comes to pass, when my children think that I am old fashioned?

What will happen if that time comes to pass, when the kids around the block think I am just an imbecile old hag?

What will happen if that time comes to pass, when I start not understanding what is going on with the world?

What will happen if that time comes to pass, when I sit alone and no one visits me because they think I will nag and just too much of a burden?

What will happen if that time comes to pass that I have to depart this earthly life, will I be able to let go and say that I have done enough for humanity?

The thought is rather scary. I am not much too concerned about physical aging, after all there is botox and age defying make-up (haha). I just think, what will become of me when I realise I have changed emotionally? Or rather, when I think the world has changed. Scary indeed.

Anyway, that movie did give me a new perspective. After all, we may not get our parents or other older relatives. But I guess they may be experiencing that stage of change, when the world has changed, when people don’t understand you, and no one seems to care. I need to keep telling myself to be kinder to ‘the other generation’.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment